The Age of Agility is upon us. Those not recognizing this reality are at great risk of “accelerated obsolescence”. We call this The Agile Imperative and it also defines the approach we take in helping our clients develop and build capability with their leaders, teams and overall organizations. It begins with the adoption of a core belief system followed by a progressive process building clarity, speed and adaptability as an on-going competitive advantage.
AGILITY CORE BELIEF SYSTEM
- The world will continue to move faster and get more volatile, uncertain, complex, and ambiguous (VUCA) in the future – a lot more.
- Agility is not just to do. It is imperative for survival and a competitive advantage opportunity in a VUCA world.
- Your people are the highest priority. They are the basis of your adaptability and the key to customer satisfaction. Providing them the opportunity to grow and develop is paramount.
- The members of your organization must all share a mindset of commitment to being focused, fast, and flexible, fueled by achieving excellence in the five drivers of The Agile Model®.
- The agile culture elements are vital to success: caring, connecting, challenging, curious, and creating.
- The operating principles that help shape organizational agility include simplicity, speed, synchronicity, fluidity, modularity, and scalability.
THE AGILE DEVELOPMENT PROCESS™
-Establishing and acknowledging compelling need and drive for becoming more agile.
- – Develops the agility implementation scope and mission statement and initiates team development process.
- – What is the compelling need and burning platform for agility in YOUR organization?
- – Does everyone on your ownership and senior leadership team see the same need and feel the same sense of urgency and buy-in to Agile Core Beliefs?
- – Have you identified the right mix of internal and external resources capable of guiding and championing the efforts?
- – Analyzes the current situation and defines the business case, purpose and nature of the transformation to agility.
- – Articulating vision of strategic objectives, stakeholders, values and edge by building the strategy map.
- – What are the conclusions and implications from the Agility Audit™ with regard to the agile capabilities of your people, processes and technology?
- – After framing your strategic intent into a Strategy Map summary, what are the strategic priorities and improvement needs for your focus, speed and flexibility?
- – What are the goals and outcomes you expect from building greater organizational agility? By when?
- – Conducting the Agile Analytics and Audit to determine your gaps and priorities for how to move from your current to desired state of agility.
- – Articulates and defines the entire process required to establish agility aligned across people, process and technology.
- What are the mission critical gaps and priorities for your agility improvement process?
- – How can your plan for deployment demonstrate the commitment of senior leaders and influencers?
- – How to include highly visible key metrics for improving the mission critical gaps and plan for each unit to define their own mission critical gaps and priorities?
- – Builds understanding and commitment to agility, trains staff towards the new goals or outcomes and establishes new ways of working as individuals and in teams.
- – Introduce the strategic focusing system for cascading strategy maps.
- – Establish and implement key agility indicators and dashboards for measuring and tracking traction and success.
- – What is the extent of behavior change or learning new behaviors involved in your deployment?
- How will you align and connect your strategic focusing process as integral aspect of agility development to keep agility efforts focused on mission critical areas of need and return.
- – How to build a dashboard to assess and track “success” in deployment of the agile development process.
- – Supports cultural change and empowerment of the workforce and builds in measurement processes to assess progress of agility implementation and the learning which has occurred.
- – Involves on-going quarterly strategic review and assessment to get traction on the mission critical initiatives.
- – On-going talent management and leadership development using the LAP™ 360.
- – How have you been able to link the focus on agility development with performance feedback and rewards systems within your company?
- – Does your talent review and promotion practice consider leadership agility competency areas?
- – Are you able to establish annual or bi-annual Agility Audit™ benchmarking to monitor and track progress and on-going areas needing attention?
The Era of “Turbo Turbulence”
The 21st century is bringing about a frenzy of innovation driven by the digital revolution, rapidly expanding interconnectivity, and intensifying global markets with radically evolving consumer expectations and dynamics. While this is a positive, it has created an environment of accelerated turbulence or “turbo turbulence” that organizations simply cannot ignore.
- Volatility is present on an almost constant basis, fueled by the growth of global connectivity, interdependence, and divisive parochial agendas.
- Uncertainty erodes our sense of control, making it much harder to control costs, quality, variances, employee attendance, productivity – the list goes on.
- Complexity makes cause and effect unclear, challenges more difficult to define and creates intricacies surrounding key decision factors on account of larger institutions, hyper technology, cultural nuances, mega generations etc.
- Ambiguity clouds our vision, making it difficult to gain true meaning. Right or wrong, good or bad, nothing is clear and concise.
The Agile Model®: A Holistic Approach
There are many dimensions of Agility within organizations – individual agility, leadership agility, team agility, strategic agility, process agility, project management agility and functional agility (e.g., sales agility, supply chain agility, human resources agility, etc.) to name only a few. The Agile Imperative is real – and The Agile Model® will help you address all of these factors, while giving you the tools you need to integrate your efforts and drawing on the expertise of others to help. Guide your organization successfully through this VUCA world and spend less time worrying about your business and more time growing it.